I’ve been writing since I was a kid. It started with journalling, which I’ve done since I was about twelve years old. Journalling helps me understand, reflect, explore, organize, and expand my thinking. It’s been a life-saver for me, as well as an important channel for my creativity. I’m a big believer in the power of words!
On this page you can find more information on my popular, that is, non-academic writing (though the boundaries are not always crystal-clear): a book, opinion pieces, columns, and some Medium articles.
Book: ‘Sustainability from the inside out’ (in Dutch)
Co-authored with Froukje Jansen, published by Prometheus (2015). Buy the book at Bol. The title may be translated as: “Sustainability from the inside out. How a new, sparkling consciousness is changing the world”
From the back of the book:
“When looking with observant eyes, we see that a new, sparkling consciousness is emerging with respect to sustainability, and the intimate relationship human beings have with the natural world. This shift is important because sustainability does not only demand technological solutions and institutional regulations, but also a restoration or even transformation of the relationships between humanity and nature, between people, and between the human being and himself. This we could call ‘sustainability from the inside out.’
This book tells the engaging stories of ten well-known and lesser-known sustainable leaders in the Netherlands, including, among others, Princess Irene, Peter Blom, Klaas van Egmond, and Tom van de Beek. For each of them a deeply personal quest has laid the foundation for their professional engagement with sustainability issues.
Sustainability from the inside out tells the stories of these profound personal quests, as well as the different aspects of the larger transformation of consciousness and action that is so urgently needed in our world. It discusses, among others, the role of science, politics, business, media, nature conservation, agriculture, money, and contemporary spirituality.
Froukje Jansen is a nationally-renowned program maker and debate leader with a strong social profile.
Dr. Annick de Witt is a researcher and lecturer at the Delft University of Technology, specializing in the cultural and psychological aspects of sustainability.”
On this picture we see both authors (in the middle), the publisher (left), and Princess Irene (right), who received the first copy of the book on June 4th 2015.
Articles in newspapers and magazines
- Op-ed piece in the Volkskrant: “Integreer natuur in steden en landschappen en laat de natuur zo zelf voor de beste oplossingen zorgen.” (“Integrate nature in cities and landscapes and let nature offer the best solutions”). May 1st, 2019.
- Interview in the Optimist, in Dutch: “Voorbij ons eigen wereldbeeld” (“Beyond our own worldview”). Maart/April, 2017.
- Blog in Scientific American: “Understanding our polarized, political landscape requires us to take a long, deep look at our worldviews”. June 28th, 2016.
- Blog in Scientific American: “People still don’t get the link between meat consumption and climate change”. April 11th 2016.
- Interview in OneWorld Magazine, in Dutch: “Zielige ijsbeer werkt niet altijd” (“Sad polar bear doesn’t always work”), 02-06-2014.
- Op-ed piece urging the Dutch government to “Listen to the younger generation, and invest in sustainability” in their response to the financial crisis. Only available in Dutch. NRC Handelsblad, March 14th, 2009.
- Page-big article in Dutch newspaper: “We need to change our worldview. It is time for an inner climate change.” See here for the English version. NRC Handelsblad, July 7th 2007.
- Op-ed piece arguing that “hang-out spots need nature”. Only available in Dutch. Trouw, May 5th 2005.
Articles on Medium
- A simple yet oh so powerful exercise to overcome your ‘immunity to change’. August 2016
- Three small, structural changes may be all you need to make 2017 the best year so far. December 2016.
Columns in magazine IS (Dutch only)
- Flexitarier (Flexitarian)
- Eco-shoppen (Eco-shopping)
- Het is u (It is you)
- Mediteren voor een beter milieu (Meditating for a better environment)
- Ons voedselprotest (Our food protest)
- Go West (Go West)
- RDW – Red de Wereld (STW – Save The World)
- Gek op groene groei (Crazy about green growth)
- Oh oh natuur (Oh my – nature!)
- Crisis (Crisis)
- Geloof (Faith)
- Keerpunt (Turning point)
- Kopenhagen (Copenhagen)
- Avatar (Avatar)
- Duurzaam genot (Sustainable pleasure)
- Evolutie (Evolution)
- Nostalgische bewegingen (Nostalgic movements)